If there’s one exercise that’s sure to challenge your limits, it’s CrossFit. It’s become such a worldwide training phenomenon that almost everyone wants to try it.
Now, don’t get too excited. Before you even head to the gym, you need to know the basics, risks and benefits of this exercise.
So sit down and make sure you digest every bit of information below.
What is its purpose?
CrossFit aims to strengthen one’s body in order to perform daily tasks with exceptional results. It is designed to well, make any ordinary person do extraordinary things.
What does it cover?
It covers just about any training there is. It could be gymnastics, weight lifting, rowing, running, plyomterics, weight training and more to target your motor, cardiovascular and other body functions.
How does it work?
CrossFit is typically divided into four parts, which are the following:
- Warm up – You’re started off with a dynamic warm up such as walking lunges and high skips.
- Skill work – This prepares your form for the next phase of the workout, which is the
- WOD – It’s defined as the workout of the day, which can be absolutely anything dictated by your professional trainer. It lasts from 5-20 minutes.
- Cool down – Here’s where you can breathe and relax and do some stretching.
What are the risks?
There are a number of risks CrossFit can entail. Here are some of them.
- You may end up pushing your body too far, since you are challenged to accomplish tasks that your body may not be ready for.
- Your muscle fibers can break down because of the intense workout. It’s a little thing called rhabdomyolysis, which you need to watch out for.
- You can risk your safety. Considering how you’re given the upper hand, even with guidance, you can make a mistake and it can cost you a lot.
- As with any gym or personal trainer, do research beforehand to make sure the trainers at your Crossfit gym will be able to help you without getting you injured.
What are the perks?
With risks, come benefits. Here are some of the perks of getting into CrossFit.
- It’s your one stop to all the best exercises you can have, since it counts for just about every bit of your body to function.
- It’s a community-based exercise so you can get a lot of motivation, inspiration as well as tips and tricks to do better.
- You can do things you’ve never imagined doing before, like Olympic exercises and more.
CrossFit is surely one intense and demanding workout. So be sure to take precaution and make the best out of it, without pushing yourself too far.